About Me

My photo
Every fortnight current Team Durham cricket players will update this blog and share their stories and give an insight to what it is like training at a MCC Centre of Excellence.

The Durham MCC University programme provides male and female students with the opportunity to combine academic and sporting excellence. Durham has helped to develop over 40 Test and County Cricketers. Household names include England Captain's Nasser Hussain and Andrew Strauss and England Internationals, James Foster, Alex Loudon and Caroline Atkins. Durham was the first MCC University to be established and is now one of six programmes throughout England and Wales. In addition we are just one of four universities to have First Class County Cricket status and compete against at least three County sides every season.

Thursday 17 March 2011

What our current players are saying ......

“Durham University is a traditional university set in a fantastic city and one which is highly regarded as a great place to study. However, one of the major reasons for coming to this university was it being a Centre of Excellence for cricket, with great facilities and high quality coaching available. The chance of playing first class cricket matches and testing myself against some of the best players in the country was appealing and an opportunity which I felt would only improve my game. Another factor which affected my decision to come to Durham was the amount of high profile players who have played for Durham University and have gone on to represent their county and country at a professional level.”
Luke Blackaby, 2011 Men's Cricket Team
BA Sports Undergraduate


“
I not only chose to come to Durham because of its world class academic status, but also because I hoped that I would be given the opportunity of improving my cricket as much as I can. Because I live in France, I haven’t had such opportunities before. I am absolutely determined to make the most of my skill, and with the support of the MCC academy and its coaching staff I hope to start playing first class cricket as soon as possible. ”

Rory Gribbel, 2011 Men's Cricket Team
Natural Sciences Undergraduate


“
Having the opportunity to improve my skills and get the chance to play first class cricket whilst getting a degree sounded fantastic. After having spoken to some students who had loved their time at Durham and had told me that there was lots of serious training, compelled me to apply! It was an easy choice for me. Durham has a great academic and sporting reputation which helped make my decision.”

Rishabh Shah, 2011 Men's Cricket Team
Economics Undergraduate

“
I was aware of the UCCE system and that Durham was part of it. Of course, I was also aware that Durham had several well-known cricketers, such as Andrew Strauss and Nasser Hussain as alumni. It was also highly regarded for my choice of degree, Economics, and having visited the city a couple of times I had fallen in love with its winding streets and beautiful vistas. ”

Chris Jones, 2011 Men's Cricket Team

More players comments will be uploaded to the Team Durham website shortly and can be found at

No comments:

Post a Comment