About Me

My photo
Every fortnight current Team Durham cricket players will update this blog and share their stories and give an insight to what it is like training at a MCC Centre of Excellence.

The Durham MCC University programme provides male and female students with the opportunity to combine academic and sporting excellence. Durham has helped to develop over 40 Test and County Cricketers. Household names include England Captain's Nasser Hussain and Andrew Strauss and England Internationals, James Foster, Alex Loudon and Caroline Atkins. Durham was the first MCC University to be established and is now one of six programmes throughout England and Wales. In addition we are just one of four universities to have First Class County Cricket status and compete against at least three County sides every season.

Thursday 24 March 2011

Cecily Scutt: Why did you choose to come to Durham University?


“My name is Cecily Scutt and I am a first year at St. Chad’s College studying Ancient History. I chose St. Chad’s College because when I visited on the open day the atmosphere was so welcoming and friendly. It is one of the smallest colleges around Durham which makes it easy get to know most people around college. St. Chad’s is also in the perfect location for my lectures, the sport centre and trips into town. Plus, there is a great view of Durham Cathedral when I walk out of my door.
I studied History, Music, French and Classical Civilisation at A-level so I chose the Ancient History course at Durham University because it combined History and Classics. It is such a varied course here, encompassing all aspects of academic study which I enjoy including history, politics, art and philosophy. The course being so diverse here at Durham is one of the reasons why I chose this university.
Another reason I came and study at Durham University was the facility for me to continue cricket training throughout the winter to a high standard. I currently play in the Surrey Women’s 1st XI and being away at university meant that I would miss out on individual and team training sessions so it was important for me to attend a university where it would be possible for me to continue my training. I saw that there was a women’s team which were in the top league and realised that training with them and playing matches before the summer would allow me to prepare well for the County cricket season. I have also trained with the MCC Academy all winter and can already feel the benefits of the fitness sessions and hope that this training will reflect positively on my performance in the summer. It has been great bowling at the guys in the Academy and I have learnt a great deal about all aspects of my game from training with them. This opportunity to train with the MCC Centre of Excellence greatly influenced my decision to come to Durham University and it has been a productive and enjoyable winter being involved in the MCC Academy here.”
Cecily Scutt, Women's Cricket Team 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment